[NOTE: This post is very old and no longer reflective of my opinions or writing style.]
So I’m halfway through Ouran High School Host Club and after the sheer awesome that was episode 13 I decided it was time to make a list of my alltime favorite individual episodes of anime. Such as in my #1’s case, a great episode may come out of a series that isn’ one of my favorites, so stuff like this is interesting sometimes. Though most of it is from my favorites. It should be noted that Baccano, Lain, and Arjuna are absent from the list because they are enjoyable as a whole far more than any parts
1. RahXephon Episode 19 – This episode was pure magic. It was almost a self-contained story within the overall plot of the anime in a way. I was very impressed with the development of the relationship in this episode since I am extremely hard on anything that tries to be dramatic in a condensed amount of time and this ep pulled it off perfectly. The emotions and interactions were all perfect leading up to what I would consider possibly the single most amazing scene I’ve ever witnessed. The entire fight was heart-destroying, brutal, beautiful, and amazing. The text on the buildings was he most amazing creative touch imaginable.
2. Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann Episode 27 – Many would say that anime and endings don’t go hand in hand and, in fact, many would say that TTGL is a prime example of this. Those people suck. TTGL’s last episode had me standing up, throwing my fists in the air and yelling. There was GALAXY THROWING, FOR FUCK’S SAKE!!!!
3. Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann Episode 8 – What, it had a lot of great eps, haha. Episode 8 is positively legendary. It probably secured Kamina’s place as one of the most legendary anime characters ever, and all-around it was one of the most crushing episodes of anything I’ve seen. It’s difficult to really describe the felings brought about by this episode, so I suggest just watching it if you haven’t already.
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion Episodes 25+26 – Since they were really like 2 parts of one episode. A lot of people don’t like the way the Eva anime ended. I am not one of those people. The eva ending MADE the show for me. I did not blink once in the entire forty minutes of these episodes and my mouth hung agape all along. The mix of philosophical bullshit, absolute zaniness and the coolest experimental directing ever mix to create a recipe of godliness.
5. ef ~a tale of memories~ Episode 7 – THIS is how drama should be. Emotional expression has never been this amazing. The last scene in this episode puts every emotion imaginable into the viewer’s head. My reaction was something like ‘holy fucking shit, no way, oh my god, *anxiety*, holy shit!!!, fuck dude, fuck, man! holy fucking shit!’
6. Hidamari Sketch Episode 5 – And now for something completely different! This is the episode that made me a Shinbo fan. A perfect combination of Hidamari’s great chracters, cute slice-of-life, and some completely batshit weird dream. Of the episodes on this list, I’ve seen this one the most since I feel the need to head straight for it any time I need a Hidamari fix.
7. ef ~a tale of memories~ Episode 12 – Not only did it have more of this show’s fucking excellent drama, but the ending was so insanely beautiful that I found myself crying like a *girl*.
8. Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight Episode 12 – ef’s ending but with less drama and more FIGHT-O!
9. Ouran High School Host Club Episode 13 – The most recent addition to the list. For starters, as is always a plus, there was some really awesome trippiness and great directing. In addition, it was almost like a recap of the show restating everyone’s emotional development, revealing the truths of their hearts, and overall making the group feel tighter. Plus it was a big Alice in Wonderland reference.
10. Mnemosyne Episode 1 – It’s a shame that this show has yet to live up to this episode, because it contained everything I could possibly want out of a show. Crazy ass crack-guro-yuri, adorable girl yuri, insane violence, badass fights, good animation, zombies, blaster knockle, shotguns, FUCKING GALNERYUS, immortality, brutal death, and FUCKING GALNERYUS.
11. FullMetal Panic? Fumoffu! – It only makes sense that the most badass episode would be followed by the most fucking hilarious. There are some funny-ass anime out there but this takes the cake. Every bit of this episode was magically hilarious. It was so overblown and over the top and delicious that it makes any other comedy pale in comparison.
12. Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight Episode 11 – Actually, this here is representing episodes 4-7 and 9-11 of Manabi Straight. All of them deserve to be mentioned in this list, because Manabi is chock full of episodes and scenes that are unreally powerful and amazing. Episode 11, being the culmination of all the hard work and guts that went into this show, gets the nod, especially for it’s beautiful concert scene. AA AA! SE-I-O-OH!
13. Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou Tou Episode 1 – Another one here for it’s badassery. Tokyo Majin’s first ep felt like a movie in a sense and had the perfect atmosphere as well as level of ridiculousness. Shit like jumping out of third-story school windows and moling underground were awesome in their ridiculousness, and the fights were all incredible. I always love to see punk atmosphere in anime, and mixing it with great action and darkness was perfect.
14. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 – Yeah, yeah, bandwagon. God Knows is one of my top 10 favorite sons ever written regardless of being in an anime or not, plus the side of Haruhi seen in this episode isn’t seen elsewhere in the show and it really surprised me. Plus, like, OMG the animation and stuff!
15. Samurai Champloo Episode 23 – This was a case of just all-around awesome. There was laugh-out-loud comedy, some insane absurdity, and pure fun. Everything from the bad-mouthed Yankees to the characters dying on the field was just perfect for this show.
16. Kamichu! Episode 11 – The concept of kids running away from home is just something I find interesting when portrayed in a serious light and this episode had the best drama in the show mixed with the same feel-good atmosphere it always contained. Miko was just too adorable and her interactions with Yurie’s brother were perfect. I do find it odd that while I usually celebrate the absurd and unique which made so many episodes of Kamichu amazing, this one managed to stand out as my favorite.
17. Hitohira Episode 11? – I’m not sure it’s 10 or 11, but if you’ve seen the show, you know exactly which one I’m talking about. The episode with the not-famous-enough ‘bridge scene’. Dear. Sweet. God.
18. Mushi-shi Episode 4 – Mushi-shi is always great, but I think episode 4 is the one that got the atmosphere, pacing, story, and drama all perfectly. The part where the guy cut’s the pillow and his chest explodes with blood is probably the most vivid image my mind has ever taken of an anime.
Stuff that should probably be here but I need to rewatch it first: Certain episodes of Simoun, certain episodes of Cowboy Bebop.