These days, it’s hard to find a truly good villain. Most villains are made to be sympathetic, or are some ambiguous life form with no personality, assuming there even is a clearly defined villain. In the old says, a villain just had to look cool and have a name like “Crystal Boy” to be memorable. It’s rare to really see a true villain who has personality without being sympathetic or tuning into a good guy by the end. Here are some of my favorite villains that are just complete bastards. Please feel free to announce your own favorite villains in the comments, not necessarily bound by these guidelines.
People not included: Reformers, Environmentalists, and Sympathetics
1. Dilandau – This is what I call a classic villain. He’s a sadist, insane, and has a bone-chilling laugh. He’s mentally unstable and quite full of himself. He’s also extremely powerful and fundamentally deviant. He doesn’t sit around behind the scenes, but is in the action. There is a classic scene where he gets cut and starts screaming ‘MY BEAUTIFUL FACE!!!’ in rage. Unfortunately, like everything else in Escaflowne, Dilandau is ruined by shitty plot twists in the second half.
2. Vicious – Vicious is a mean mother fucker who can take on a gunman with a sword on equal grounds. his crowning moment of evil was probably cutting a man across the eyelids saying ‘you will cry tears of scarlet’. Oh, and he’s voiced by Norio fucking Wakamoto.
3. Akio – This guy could be called something like a sex demon. He literally fucks every single character in Utena. Male, female, family members, he fucks everything in sight. He truly does not give a fuck about other people beyond using them and getting in their pants. He’s also an epic-level badass who drives better than anyone alive.
4. Medusa – I didn’t like Medusa at first, but she’s gotten to be an interesting character. She’s got a lot of Joker-style planning several steps ahead of everyone else. She gets major bonus points post-loli for showing just how evil she is and taking on an entire new world of creepiness.
5. Hansel and Gretal – I know I said no sympathics but dude… just dude. Just seeing a picture of them gives me chills.