Eden of the East is not a great anime. Almost every review I’ve read of the first episode has paraded it as the second coming of anime Jesus. I can’t say that many things have filled me with more rage. The same people who will insult more deserving, excellent shows turn around and treat this shit like a diamond. I can’t comprehend why. I don’t understand the appeal. Eden of the East is horrible.
But I will give it some credit. First of all, the opening and ending themes are both amazing, mostly in video, though the songs are nice too. (Oasis?!)
Next, the animation quality is way up there, but what the hell, it’s Production I.G., anything less and it’d be a massive failure on their parts. The character designs from the Honey and Clover manga-ka are nice, but their noses bug the hell out of me. The music has not been anything I’ve noticed yet. Voice acting is good enough, but also not really standout. The girl sounds a little awkward. Anyway, leaving behind the technical shit, lets dive in. I shall make a numbered list of the bullshit.
1. The main character girl is so f-cking stupid that she thought she could just walk up to the white house and try to throw a coin into the fountain. Leaving aside her failure in it being too far away, you simply must be f-cking kidding me. Did she really think that was just okay?!
What bothers me is not the naked man holding a gun and a phone outside the White House. What bothers me is that he wasn’t immediately pumped full of 37 rounds. Security is evidently so lax they can just easily be duped, and they don’t even leave someone behind to monitor the suspicious girl, who doubtlessly would have been thought a co-conspirator with the nude man and both of them immediately taken down and apprehended. And then the two manage to stand around and chitchat for several minutes right there at the crime scene.
3. When the girl realizes that she has left her passport in her coat that she gave away, she starts trying to run and trips over her luggage. So she says f-ck it and just leaves her f-cking luggage in the middle of the road. What the f-ck? Do you really care that little about what’s in your bag? Yeah, her passport is important, but I’m sure she didn’t need to think it’d gotten that far away that she couldn’t take time to find a way to easier manage her luggage.
4. “Oh hey, I’m only on my way to work, but go ahead and take my f-cking pants, stranger.”
5. The police woman believed that the man was a differnt person becuase his penis was larger up close than it had been in the picture. Yeah. Even though he looks the exact same and is acting suspicious and the girl with him was also seen at the scene.
6. Do girls really fall in love with random strange men who may or may not be a terrorist?
7. A missile hits Japan, and while the people are a bit scared, there’s no major turmoil. We learn that this happened a year before, too, miraculously killing no one. And I guess people just ignored it. Uh huh. But this time people died. So….. yeah, whatever.
8. So, we hear from the girl that she doesn’t have a job yet and she’s living with her sister and sister’s husband who paid her through her university stay. She feels really bad about leeching off of them. SO WHERE DID SHE GET THE MONEY TO FLY TO F-CKING AMERICA?!?!
That’s about it for the outright bullshit. Anything else is more along the lines of ‘mystery’ and questions that will probably be answered later, though it’s kind of aggravating how this show has absolutely no direction to it. It’s very ‘shit happening’ so far with no real foundation of formula. I assume this is only to get the ball rolling and more will come to light later, but for now it’s a journey with no destination on a road paved with bullshit. I want to be interested in the doubtlessly unique and zany plot, but for now I’m just stuck on the bullshit and generally not impressed.
Also, I want to note that this post was censored because I am tired of Anime Nano skipping my posts. Call me a sellout, but I am not getting enough f-cking hits. I made a porn gallery, that should be a gold mine, but it got skipped for some reason. RAGE.